02 November 2004

The Voting Experience

this is an audio post - click to play

Here's an after-the-fact rundown of my voting experience today. My plan to walk to the polls got rained on (literally), so I drove over. 2 campaign signs exactly 100 feet from the poll entrances - both Kerry signs. This has been balanced by the new addition of Bush/Cheney signs (you're welcome).

Got in a very short line, right behind a lady who I swear I recognize from the supermarket - the one who waits until all the groceries are bagged before taking her checkbook out of her purse. She decided that the polls would be a great time to look for her voter registration card. After about 3 minutes, I told her that her driver's license would suffice.

I handed my registration to the nice lady, she found my name, I signed, took my ballot, and went to the booth. We used the optical reader thingy, where you complete the middle of the arrow pointing to your selection. Even a Floridian could do that. There were only 3 Democrat candidates on the entire ballot. The rest were Republican and (snicker) Libertarian.

Rather than vote the straight party ticket, I took great satisfaction in selecting each race individually. I placed the completed ballot in the reader, got my little sticker for my shirt from the election judge, and moved on, full of pride and patriotism.

Have you voted yet?

No comments: