06 November 2004

Mexico Seeks U.S. Immigration Changes

You know, I realize that illegal immigrants form a hefty part of portions of our workforce. I'm frankly in a quandry over what to do about it.

I do NOT think, however, that illegal immigrants (from anywhere, not just Mexico) should be given the rights of citizens of this country, and this statement really chaps me off:

"Mexico acknowledged it suffered a setback in the Nov. 2 elections, when Arizona voters approved Proposition 200, a ballot initiative aimed at keeping illegal immigrants from voting and obtaining some government services.
The Arizona initiative would ``foment racial discrimination and limit (migrants') access to basic services like health and education,'' Mexico's Foreign Relations Department said in a news statement. "

IF you are not a legal citizen of this country, it ain't my job to pay for your healthcare and education. Period.

Can you see me crossing the border into Mexico (or hell, anywhere in the world for that matter) and insisting that you have everything translated to English for me, that I get free medical care, and that I can go to a state school at no charge while I'm there? Somehow I don't see that happening.


No comments: