28 July 2005

Springfield XD



I picked up a new carry gun a few weeks ago and thought I'd give a little report.

I've fired about 500 or so rounds through it and so far I'm pretty impressed. No jams or hang ups whatsoever. Considering the sights are pretty weak and not the usual Heinie's that I'm used to and they're 3 dots, which I hate - it's pretty accurate. Recoil about what you'd expect from a dinky 9mm - pretty mild.

I've yet to clean it, and I'll shoot her without cleaning till she pukes - and at current rates, that's going to be awhile.

Some high points - this weapon points naturally just like my beloved 1911s/2011s. Much unlike the Glocks which I always seem to be pointing a tad low with a natural point of aim. Breakdown is easier than a Glock, and you don't have to worry about holding your mouth just right to get the slide off the frame. Reloads with the XD also are a lot easier than with a Glock - the inside of the mag well has got nothing in there to catch your mag, unlike a Glock.

The trigger is similar to a Glock, in that it's got a pretty long pull. Unlike a Glock, the break of the trigger is pretty clean and not mushy at all.

All things said and done, I'm pretty happy with it!! I would have to say that this is the first pistol I've seen (so far) that can rival the Glocks for reliability, ease of operation, and cost.

No comments: