08 January 2005

Time for a new game

If you are a member of the International Defensive Pistol Association, you are probably well aware of the sh!t storm that has come down since HQ announced their new rule book is effective as of January 5, 2005. They sent out an email notification, and the rulebook was soon to be found on the internet.

The previous versions of the rulebook were notorious for being vague and nebulous throughout. The new rulebook did much to clarify some things, but was equally nebulous on others. For example, the rulebook mentions both that all rules are effective as of now, but that equipment rules will not take effect until next January. One would assume that holsters were included in equipment since for one thing, common sense would dictate that, and for another, it stated just that in the rulebook. But the rulebook also goes on to state that holsters are not considered 'equipment', only guns. Regardless, changes to the holster rules are the least of my concerns.

The major concern that I have with the new rulebook is the direction that the sport seems to be going. Courses of Fire are looking like they'll get shorter and shorter, distances traveled will get shorter, and it looks like reloads are to be done off the clock. The net effect of this new philosophy is that your weaker shooters are now competing on a more level playing field against the more experienced, and faster shooters. And not only are you hosing the better shooters, the rulebook comes out and openly states that the sport is geared towards new and average shooters. None of whom frequent this blog.

So, now we are not only essentially being penalized for our speed, but when we travel for hours to compete at large, sanctioned matches, you can expect to shoot shorter courses of fire that are not as challenging as what we would like to shoot.

Not me. I'm done with major IDPA matches. I've put in 5 years for this sport, paid my dues, worked my butt off for the organization that has effectively run me out of town.

As of tonight, I have rejoined the other, older sport shooting association - United States Practical Shooting Assocation - where the rules are the rules, they are not grey, and I can shoot a match anywhere in the country and have the rules interpreted the same regardless of where I go. I started my shooting career with uspsa, began to shoot idpa, and now I'm going back to my roots.

I'll see you at the range.

No comments: