16 April 2007

Virginia Tech - a Gun-Free Zone. ...Updated...

I mean absolutely no disrespect to any of the families affected by this tragedy. As the father of a college student, my heart goes out to you.

I just want someone to answer one what-if question for me: what IF a student in the dormitory that was attacked had been able to defend him/herself from this raging lunatic? Forget whether or not it were legal or not, because the gunman didn't pay any attention to the "No gun" signs on campus. Obviously, these were good kids that obeyed the laws and rules of the college. It's a pity.

In light of today's shootings at Virginia Tech, imagine the timing of this bit of legislation.
Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."
I hope old Larry gets the chance to choke on those words today. Safer, my ass. You take away the ability of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves from nutjobs who don't care one whit about the law, and what do you get? The other headline today:
1 Killed in Shootings at Virginia Tech
One 21 32 dead, 21 ?? injured.

Pull your heads out, people. Stop disarming the wrong people.

No comments: