19 March 2006

A star is born: Owens signs with the Cowboys

I was joking with my wife about this last night, saying I'd heard on the radio that TO had signed with the Cowboys. Little did I know at the time, but in a sure sign of the apocalypse, Owens is now a Cowboy.

There's no doubting that TO is a fantastic talent on the field. He is truly a gifted athlete. However, there is also no doubting that he has pretty much single handedly destroyed his last two teams due to his childish and selfish off the field behavior.

Had I been the one signing the checks, I would have signed him at the league minimum, with bonuses at the END of the year, and not the beginning for good behavior and solid performance.
Part of the gamble with Owens coming to Dallas is whether fans will embrace him. Many are still bitter about the September 2000 game when, while playing for the 49ers, Owens celebrated each of two touchdown catches at Texas Stadium by running to the team's star logo at midfield. Safety George Teague secured a spot in team lore by decking Owens after the second one.
I can't help but feel a sense of foreboding for the Cowboy's future on this deal.

No comments: