11 August 2005

AOL's love fest with Ms. Sheehan

Ok, DC got me thinking about the war and its multiple fronts. I decided to stop being quiet and sent a little love note to AOL. I'll be interested to see what sort of response I receive. Thanks DC, I think my congressfolks are going to get a similar letter soon. The war rages on....

To whom it may concern:

I am deeply troubled by the choice that AOL News has made in giving Ms. Cindy Sheehan any airtime whatsoever. She is strongly featured in the article "A mother's protest", and there is little or no opportunity for the full story to be told. You have a brief quote from Drudge, but you make no space available for the story from her hometown paper which was published shortly after her visit with the President last year. That story completely contradicts her statements today. You also do not include the letter written today from the rest of her family, urging her to end her protest, and giving their continued support to the President and the troops.

This particular story troubles me because I'm becoming more and more aware that the war is not only being fought overseas. It is also being fought here in this country and in my opinion, stories focusing on people like Ms. Sheehan are undermining the war effort. Period. I have also noticed that as of late, there has been little to no stories making the front pages of your news that talk about the successes and victories of our troops overseas, but there are plenty of stories focusing on the deaths of our troops. Why is that? I urge you to visit Michael Yon's blog to read current dispatches from the front. His work is unbiased, and it is excellent. And it also tells the complete story of the unit he is with - the good, the bad, and the ugly, and not just the company line that you are currently repeating from the bulk of the mainstream media. Reading the majority of the stories that you CHOOSE to publish, one can not help but think the troops are losing the war and I know that is simply not the truth.

So, here's my offer to you. I've been a subscriber for years to AOL. If I don't see any changes in the way in which you present your stories, particularly those that focus on the ongoing war, then I'm jumping ship and will go to another ISP. I simply refuse to spend any of my money with an organization that is as biased as yours appears to be in its presentation of the war.

I realize that my 20 something dollars a month likely means nothing to you, but it means something to me, and that's all that matters.

No comments: