10 July 2005

Catfish's Cigar rating #1

As a public service, I'm going to start posting my own rankings of some quality cigars. First, the rules, such as they are:
1. Cigars for these tests will not cost more than ~ $10. Good enough for a great smoke, but affordable enough for us normal blokes to enjoy on a frequent basis.
2. The ratings will be on a * scale. 1* being the worst, and 5* being the best.
3. For reference, the only cigar I can rate at a 5* now is the Ashton #40.

Why cigars? Well, that's easy. Cigars smell and taste good, and more importantly, you can use a particular cigar to remember a good time with good friends and family. My grandfather smoked the occasional cigar, and I can't smoke a good cigar today without remembering what a great man my grandfather was, or the things we would do like go bass fishin', or working in the kitchen of his restaurant after closing time.
I've also had many a good smoke after a hard fought shooting match with my friends - a good smoke after a match is indeed something pleasant to look forward to, and something pleasant to remember.

Plus, they seem to have the ability to totally piss off liberals, and that all by itself would make it priceless.

So, straight to the first review:

Romeo and Julieta Maduro Reserve
Price - about $6
Size - robusto, maybe 36 gauge or so
Smoke time - 1.25 hours, down past the paper. I needed a roach to finish it off. Had I not been in a little bit of a hurry, this smoke would easily have lasted an hour and a half or more.
Rating - 4.5 * I'll be smoking another one, this was a great smoke. I really enjoyed the strong maduro flavor, and the ability to smoke her all the way down to the nub ranks pretty high in my book. The smoke drew easily, and was perfectly firm - not too hard, not too soft.

No comments: