28 June 2005

Shark scare ripples across Florida after two attacks - Yahoo! News

Ah, the joys of the 24 hour news cycle. Was watching CNN during this morning's workout, and got to listen to the genius talking head ask the shark expert: "what was this shark thinking when it attacked this poor girl?"

Newsflash, dork-man: sharks don't "think". They swim. They make baby sharks. And they eat. Period.

And then having to listen to the self proclaimed shark "expert", whose face was plastered all over every news channel today, talk about how both attacks were in essence, provoked attacks. In other words, the humans did something to the sharks to make the sharks bite them. Right. Apparently, all you must do to provoke a shark attack is be in the water, eh?

I've been in the water many times when sharks were around, surfing as a teenager off Florida's Atlantic coast. Every time, it scared the beejezus out of me. And every time I noticed I had just surfed over a shark, I promptly got the hell out of the water ASAP. Nothing like being out on the line with the other surfers and smelling the fish kill as the sharks tore into the bait fish out past the break. That was about all I needed to tell me it was time to go drink beer and work on my tan.

No comments: