24 February 2005

Yahoo! Sports - NHL - Herb Brooks honored with naming of 1980 hockey rink in his honor

Yahoo! Sports - NHL - Herb Brooks honored with naming of 1980 hockey rink in his honor

Wow! How I remember the 1980 Olympics. I can still remember sitting in the family room watching the game against the USSR. Screaming at the TV for Eruzione, or someone to shoot the puck.

The Summer Olympics boycott. Soviets in Afghanistan. The Iran hostages. The botched rescue. Mt. Saint Helens. Reagan getting elected. I was a junior in high school. Twenty fives years goes by quick.

I don't think people born after the 80's realize just how big this game and Herb Brooks were. I remember people talking about that game for weeks. We all knew who Eruzione was. Even people that had no interest in sports were cheering for the Team. The movie doesn't do them justice for what they did.

Godspeed Herb!

No comments: