18 November 2004

ABC News: Former President Clinton Reflects

Anyone surprised blowjob bill is still spinning his legacy?
"On Iraq I think that even I underestimated the level of opposition, at least given the troop strength we had there. You know, my position on the Iraq War was different from almost everybody else's that I've heard talk. I supported giving the president the authority to take action against Saddam Hussein if he did not cooperate with the U.N. inspectors, or if he was found to have had weapons of mass destruction he wouldn't give up. I did believe that the administration made a mistake going to war when they did, and that's what alienated the world. Most Americans still haven't focused on this."
In other words, I'm still talking out of both sides of my mouth, and not really saying anything at all in the meantime.

On His Attempts to Capture Osama Bin Laden
"If you look at the 9/11 Commission's report about what we did, and how we prepared for, we had 9/11-style threats for the millennium. And the extent of our preparations, and the work we did, the number of terrorists we brought to justice, the 20 al Qaeda cells we broke up, if you look at all that, and the fact that we apparently still came closer to getting bin Laden than anybody has since, even though they have a lot more options -- military options -- than we had -- I wish that I had gotten him."
What about the 3 times you were offered OBL on a plate? And how you stopped the millenium plan?? I do seem to recall that it was a lucky stop of a field agent that broke that case open, and not as a result of any planning you or your terror czar Richard Clark could develop.

On Tactics Used Against Democrats
"We saw it in 2002 when Max Cleland, who left half his body in Vietnam, was put in a television ad with Saddam Hussein and compared to Saddam Hussein because he wouldn't vote for President Bush's version of the Homeland Security Bill, a bill the president himself had opposed just a few weeks before they were comparing Cleland to Saddam Hussein. That's what they do. I didn't do that. I've never done that."
Do you mean the same Max Cleland who blew himself up screwing around with a grenade away from a combat zone? And, while you *might* not have done anything like that - what about reports that Republicans are making old people choose between food and medicine, and that old people can only afford dog food, and that we're starving kids blah blah blah.

On Ken Starr
"No other president ever had to endure someone like Ken Starr inviting innocent people, because they wouldn't lie, in a systematic way, and having respectable news outlets treat them like they were serious, and parroting everything they leaked. No one ever had to try to save people from ethnic cleansing in the Balkans, and people in Haiti from a military dictator that was murdering them, and all the other problems I dealt with, while every day, an entire apparatus was devoted to destroying him.
And still, [there's] not any example of where I ever disgraced this country publicly. I made a terrible public-personal mistake, but I paid for it, many times over. And in spite of it all, you don't have any example where I ever lied to the American people about my job, where I ever let the American people down, and I had more support from the world, and world leaders, and people around the world, when I quit than when I started."
Boy, where to begin?? No other President lied under oath. No other President has been known to abuse his authority as a supervisor with a member of his staff - something that if I had done with an intern at my place of work would get me fired in a heartbeat. And you were so heroic in getting rid of the Serbian threat from 30,000 feet?? What a moron. Where you never lied? What planet are you from??

Your entire Presidency was one giagantic embarrasment after an other.

No comments: