10 October 2004

Hi, my name is JR, and I'm a geek

Heaven help me, I'm hooked.

It's a game you play on the Internet. It's called BlogShares. Fortunately, my company blocks the website, or I'd be fired for not actually working, but rather for building a fictitious financial empire. We trade in commodities, but the commodities are blogs. Like this one. You start with a measly 500 blog bucks and 5000 shares in your blog (if you have one). The goal is to parlay that nest egg into a Trump-like kingdom of bloggery. Here's what I've found out about my financial prowess: I suck. I'll never be a corporate kingpin, so you can sleep easy tonight. Here's a link to my pathetic portfolio: JR. Stop laughing - I still don't quite have the grasp of ideas as commodities, much less what to do with them. If you're a mega-player that feels sorry for me, feel free to be my sugar-significant other. I'll be your bitch.

All the funny-money stuff aside, here's the magic of BlogShares: you have a mechanism for finding and reading like-minded bloggers, linking to each other, and generally building the blogosphere into something rather formidable. It's a little bit like inbreeding in some cases, but it's largely extremely cool and beneficial. People see your blog (even if it's of dubious value), and you become a part of the new revolution in journalism. Power to the people! Or something like that.

No comments: