12 March 2007

You know, I somehow expected more....

A few weeks ago, I took advantage of the House of Representatives' email system to politely voice my displeasure with HR 1022 - the new AWB - to my Congressman, Dr. Michael Burgess. Here is the response I got today - 4 paragraphs of blather.

You'll note that what it does NOT contain is the good Doctor's position on HR 1022.

Which is why I sent a follow up email asking for clarification on that little matter.

You know, somehow, I expected more of an answer from a Republican Congressman in a strongly Republican County...



March 12, 2007


Mr. Catfish
Denton, Texas

Dear Mr. Catfish,

Thank you for contacting me with your opposition to H.R. 1022,
the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of
2007. I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter.

Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy (D-New York) introduced
H.R. 1022 on February 13, 2007. This bill would revise the
definition of a 'semiautomatic assault weapon' to include
conversion kits (used for converting a firearm to such a weapon)
and any semiautomatic rifle or pistol that has the ability to accept a
detachable magazine and includes specific characteristics including
a telescoping stock. H.R. 1022 would prohibit the transfer of such
a weapon except through a license dealer or state or local law
enforcement agency. Under this legislation the Attorney General
would establish and maintain a record of the make, model and date
of manufacture for any such weapon that has been used in relation
to a crime.

H.R. 1022 was referred to the House Judiciary Committee for
further review. While I am not a member of the House Judiciary
Committee, you may be assured I will keep your views in mind
should H.R. 1022 be brought before the full House for a vote.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. I appreciate
having the opportunity to represent you in the U.S. House of
Representatives. Please feel free to visit my website
(www.house.gov/burgess) or contact me with any future concerns.
Sincerely,


Michael C. Burgess, M.D.
Member of Congress

No comments: