14 August 2006

Let's hope England does the right thing

The Brits are actually thinking about profiling muslims. I hope they do it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Until we get over our squeamish-ness about potentially insulting people, we're going to lose the war.

You know what you say to an "innocent" muslim that you search before he or she gets on a plane or other method of public transportation? "I'm sorry for taking up some of your time. Have a nice flight." But, let's say you actually stop someone from blowing up an airplane because you did the right thing and profiled them? How many Scandinavian grandmas do we have to watch get stopped at the security checkpoints while the persian in the flowing robes walks right by before we wise up?

Ask any cop - profiling works.

However, the highest ranking muslim policeman in Britain has given warning that:

profiling techniques based on physical appearance were already causing anger and mistrust among young Muslims. Tarique Ghaffur, an assistant commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, said: “We must think long and hard about the causal factors of anger and resentment.


Let's think about that statement, shall we?? Basically what he's saying is that if the muslim community thinks they're getting the shaft, there will be riots, problems, etc etc etc. How asinine of a statement is that? I mean, really, let's substitute any other religious group for muslims and can you see that group rioting in the streets because they feel they're being discriminated against? I mean, really, if someone will riot, burn, loot, and kill people over a cartoon - who's to say what they'll do if they get profiled??

How about this? I'll be insulted, and severely mistrust the TSA if I'm pulled over to get checked out while the arab behind me does not. You don't see a lot of people worried about hurting my feelings, do you?

It's insanity.

No comments: