12 December 2005

Stanley Tookie Williams

I've been watching the circus from San Quentin on the various TV news outlets this evening. Here's what I've seen so far: teenage girls giggling on camera behind the talking heads, phoning their friends, laughing, having a good time at the prison's execution party. The sound of Native American drumbeats off-camera, apparently honoring either Williams' heritage, or the profound sadness of Native Americans over the execution of a cold-blooded, merciless murderer. I've listened to pontifications by Jesse Jackson and Mike Farrell, celebrities who apparently have more information than the jury who convicted and sentenced this man to death, and who seemingly believe that you can redeem yourself from murder by writing children's books.

I've seen just about everything except a remorseful murderer who shotgunned a defenseless store clerk in the back (as he layed face-down on the floor) 2 times for $120, and then later bragged about the gurgling noises the man made as he died. I've not yet seen an apology from the founder of a murderous gang, who shotgunned a husband, wife, and child while robbing their motel.
"I am not the kind of person to sit around and worry about being executed," Williams told Reuters in an interview last month. "I have faith and if it doesn't go my way, it doesn't go my way."
Here's the deal, Tookie: it's not going your way this time. It's going the way it should go, and you'll no longer be a threat to society. You will face the consequences for your actions. If you were really a man, you'd apologize for what you did, and then accept the penalty that society has dictated for monsters like yourself, without putting up a fight. AMF.

No comments: