01 February 2005

What if Bush has been right about Iraq all along?

"By now, you might have even voted against George Bush -- a second time -- to register your disapproval.
But after watching Sunday's election in Iraq and seeing the first clear sign that freedom really may mean something to the Iraqi people, you have to be asking yourself: What if it turns out Bush was right, and we were wrong?"
It's a Liberal nightmare: you might actually be (*gasp*) wrong.
I won't say that it had never occurred to me previously, but it's never gone through my mind as strongly as when I watched the television coverage from Iraq that showed long lines of people risking their lives by turning out to vote, honest looks of joy on so many of their faces.
I noticed those looks, too. The ink-stained finger (no, not that one) has become the new symbol of Democracy in an otherwise human-rights wasteland.
For now, though, I think we have to cut the president some slack about a timetable for his exit strategy.

If it turns out Bush was right all along, this is going to require some serious penance.
Crow. It's what's for dinner.

No comments: