01 December 2006

Ahhhh, the joy

Yeah, right. Here at the Tattler, we talk about all the glory of practical shooting. The trophies, the prize tables, the ultra fast splits, the awesome stage runs etc. etc. etc.

What we have yet to discuss is what I consider to be the bane of shooting 20,000 rounds a year.


Yep, making those 20,000 sucks. Bad. I don't believe that I enjoyed a single solitary thing about making them except for one thing that makes it truly worth it. I can make a box of 50 180g JHP .40SW rounds for somewhere between 4 and 5 bucks. The same, or similar box of 50 would cost somewhere in the realm of 20 bucks. I could probably buy a box of Winchester white box or Blazer in the $12-15 dollar range but even that is significantly more expensive than my handloads.

I've got one of the best handloading presses out there, a Dillon 550 (eclipsed only by it's big brothers the 650 and 1050), but I still hate every minute of it.

I've heard some people talk about how much they enjoy handloading, but all I can say is that I think they are full of poop.

No comments: