12 June 2006

Roethlisberger in hospital after motorcycle accident

Steelers quarterback , Ben Roethlisberger, who has said he dislikes wearing a motorcycle helmet, was seriously injured in a motorcycle crash and taken to a hospital Monday.


Over the course of my life I have, on many occasions, done a lot of things that were viewed by some people, as reckless and dangerous. I was lucky to make it through my teens without suffering serious injury. After growing into adulthood, I still did dangerous things, but after gaining a certain maturity I assessed everything with a risk vs. reward mindset, and did what I could to minimize the risk while still being able to enjoy the reward. I have been a motorcyclist since I was 16. Even back then I was smart enough to know that you need to wear a helmet. I know that wearing a helmet is a choice we all get to make, but let me put this as plainly as I can.

If you throw a leg over a motorcycle and you are not wearing a helmet, you are an idiot!

Gravity and the forces of nature are a bitch. When you are at their mercy, you have no control over what happens next. More than likely, your head will hit something that is harder. The harder object will win the battle and you will break the hearts of everybody in your life. I think the choice to not wear a helmet is more of a vanity thing than a freedom thing. Get over yourself and put on a damn helmet! If you choose not to wear a helmet, do somebody a favor and fill out your organ donor card.

No comments: