16 April 2006

Road Trips & Elements

As you may have seen from The Girl's previous post, my car is a Honda Element, irreverently referred to as "the Toaster."

I'll have you know the Honda Element is a very fine vehicle, and is particularly suited to my lifestyle. Namely, I'm a slovenly slob when it comes to car care. It's got plastic floorboards, stain-proof seats, and even plastic quarter-panels. In short, it's a man's dream car. It's even been vomit-tested by a 14-year-old cheerleader (another story, and don't get all pervy on that).

No, it's not the most aerodynamic vehicle ever built, but it's got a 270-watt, 7-speaker sound system that makes my XM radio the best thing ever. It's got copious space for 4, and a ridiculous amount of headroom. It carries all our shooting gear, and leaves plenty of legroom. In short, it's an awesome road trip car, and has performed very admirably for well over 50K miles.

On the way back from Waco, we stopped somewhere around Waxahachie to fuel up, and pulled up next to another Honda Element, piloted by some teen (maybe post-teen - I'm not getting any younger, and they all look the same to me) guys. They were driving - *sigh* - "Dad's" Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP in Element circles) Element, and the battery had apparently croaked. It looked like they'd been there a while, too sheepish to ask anyone else to give them a jump. When we pulled up, they ran straight over, and asked if I'd help. They didn't even have cables - the kid went inside to buy them. Of course we helped, and sent them on their merry way. Just for the sake of this blog, we took this pic. Not much point to this whole post, just thought I'd share.

No comments: