18 December 2005

Jack Anderson has Died

Who's Jack Anderson, you say? You gun nuts should remember him well. He's the "journalist" who insisted that the "plastic" Glock handgun was a weapon of terror. Here's a piece by old Jack his ownself:
While producing a TV documentary on terrorism that year, I picked up disturbing evidence of how easy it would be to smuggle a weapon into the U.S. Capitol. I wanted to prove, on camera, that it could be done, so I borrowed Dale's plastic gun. Then I made an appointment to meet Senator Bob Dole in his office in the Capitol and talk to him on camera about security.

I took the gun apart, put the plastic pieces in my briefcase, and carried three bullets in my coat pocket. Then, with the camera crew taping me, I sailed through the Capitol metal detector and into the men's room where I reassembled the Glock. In Dole's office, as he was telling me how secure the building was, I produced the gun and handed him the bullets. He smiled sportingly, but his face was ashen.
This piece alone points out to anyone with ANY knowledge of Glocks that Jack Anderson was nothing more than a bald-faced liar, who twisted and distorted information to suit his agenda. This single lie did more to help gun control than virtually any other story in the last 30 years.

I guess I'll have to lump myself with Richard Nixon, who had Anderson on his famous "enemies" list.

Yet look at the glowing obituary from Reuters:
Anderson is considered one of the major figures in modern investigative journalism, fearless in pursuit of a story. He won his Pulitzer for reporting on secret American policy decision-making that implied the United States leaned toward Pakistan in its 1971 war with India.
I'll say this for Jack: he certainly set the benchmark for modern mainstream media. He taught them that if you say something's true in the newpapers, then it must be true, the facts be damned.

No comments: