14 April 2005

The Book "meme"

I go through all winter without catching anything, and now I've caught something from JulieB: "I called you out for the "Book Meme" on my site. I'm hoping you will
step up to the plate since you are my only right wing victim! Check today's post: http://juliewithab.blogspot.com/ "

I'm going to think on who I'm passing this little gem on to while I sleep tonight...

But for now, here you go on your long awaited questions, Julie:

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

This is an easy one. And I’m not going to pick a specific book, but an author. How’s about anything written by Danielle Steele? I was stuck once at someone’s house and the only book available to me was a Danielle Steele novel. After the third day, and only having managed to read the first chapter thanks to constant vomiting and nausea, I decided that I couldn’t take it any more and slit my wrists.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Negative. Being male, I need images to have any type of reaction. That’s why my early crushes were on SI supermodels like Carol Alt.


What is the last book you bought?

It’s been a while since I’ve actually purchased a book – I’m fortunate in that my friends let me mooch off them when they finish a good one. The last one I’ve so borrowed (thanks, Dan!) was by Stephen Hunter – Havana. It’s a continuation of the Earl Swagger collection, all of which I’ve enjoyed for some pure escapism.

What are you currently reading?

Just finished Garden of Beasts by Jeffery Deaver. Pretty good read. A tale of an American hit man who gets conned into traveling to pre war Nazi Germany to make a hit by a shady character in the US government. If he survives, he get some cash and let off the hook for some nefarious deeds done back in the states. There’s the ever present Car and Driver, Front Sight, and various gun catalogs lying around as well.

Five books you would take to a desert island?

Well, in addition to a sharp knife and a .22 bolt action rifle, hmmmmm.

1. The SAS Survival Guide. It’s an extremely valuable resource if you’re ever stuck on a desert island, or anywhere in the world for that matter.
2. The Odyssey. It never gets old.
3. Myamoto Musashi’s Gorin no shô, aka the Book of Five Rings. I learn something new each time I read this fantastic work, and it has been an asset to me throughout my shooting career.
4. Any decent atlas of the night sky. Figure I’ll have plenty of opportunity to study the heavens on my island.
5. Tom Clancy’s Without Remorse. I like John Clark. He’s an interesting character, and like him, I hate druggies. Remorse is one of Clancy’s best in my opinion – he doesn’t get bogged down in all the technical babble that seemed to plague his later books, and he really allows you to get close to Clark.

No comments: