10 December 2004

Glock vs. 1911

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm an admirer of the genius who invented what I think is the finest pistol known to mankind to this date - John Moses Browning.

I'm not one of the typical 1911 fanatics who believes that every other pistol is a piece of crap (but there are indeed some that are - need I say S&W automatics?), or that if you add a beavertail safety, ambi thumb safeties, and full length guide rod you're committing some kind of heresy.

For the past two years, I've been shooting a custom pistol, built by my good friend up at Rock Ranch arms up in Missouri. It's based on an STI 2011 frame, and is a .45acp. It's easily the finest weapon I've ever owned. I've decided that in the upcoming year, I want to compete in another pistol division in IDPA, and that would require me to change calibers to 9mm, so I've been without my .45 for a month or so.

In the meantime, I've been shooting a Glock 21, that's a full sized Glock in .45acp for those of you unfamiliar with the Glock hierarchy. It's been brutal. Now, there's nothing wrong with a Glock. I think they are indeed the finest example of the new breed of pistols. But the 21 just wasn't working for me. It's slightly too big for my hands, and the lack of a thumb safety was keeping me from locking the gun into my grip, and as a result the gun just kept jumping around and I couldn't hit crap.

So, after a sleepless night of worrying about it this week, I broke down and traded the Glock in for a Kimber 1911, in 9mm. I think Kimbers are probably the best out of the box 1911's on the market, and I hope this one runs as well as a previous Kimber that I used to own.

I can't begin to describe how much better the 1911 just feels in my hand. We'll see how it shoots at the match tomorrow, and I am really looking forward to it. Not only that, I'm looking forward to just buying some 9mm rather than handloading some .45 tonight.

Now, if I can just get to the range without my car's black box telling the po-leece that I'm speeding, it'll be a good day. :)

No comments: