08 April 2006

Feelings, nothing more than feelings....

I tend to think of myself as a fairly rational, non feeling individual. It's not that I don't have feelings, it's that I don't lead my life by what I'm feeling. It always cracks me up to hear someone tell me how they "feel" about something rather than what they "think".

Now, that being said, at Wednesday's match this week, I was ruled by my feelings on the first stage of the night. Allow me to explain....

The stage had you starting behind a barricade, and first engage a target at about 15-20 yards with 3 rounds. The target was "hiding" behind cover and you only had about 1/2 the upper torso to shoot at. After you engaged T1, as you moved forward to P2 (position 2) you engaged T2 on the move and when you reached P2, you engaged some more targets that were behind the barricade. At the buzzer, I engaged T1 with 2 rounds, and then milked the trigger (still getting used to the XD's trigger) and popped off 2 more rounds almost full auto. As I began moving to P2, it hit my conscious level from my bubbling subconscious that something didn't feel right about how the gun cycled and I looked down at the XD. Lo and behold, the gun was about 3/4 into battery, and I could clearly see the next round trying unsuccessfully to get into battery. Without slowing my movement a bit, I racked the slide, began to hit the brakes, set up for the shot on T2, took the 3 shots on T2 and finished the COF without incident.

Now, my point is not to talk about how great I am or to impress you with what happened. What made me extremely happy about that stage is that the whole incident took place without any serious thought process on my part. It was simply a feeling that I had that something was wrong. And the only reason I had that feeling is because at practically every opportunity that I have, I am either shooting, dry firing, or fondling a pistol.

THAT is why I train the gun so hard folks.

How hard are YOU training.

And oh yeah. You can never train enough.

No comments: