07 October 2006

Gun Report S&W M&P40

Picked up a new S&W M&P40 last weekend and was able to shoot it at Wednesday night's match. Ran about 100 rounds through the gun with no issues, other than my own brain farts. The rounds I shot were a mixed bag of either 180g FMJs from Precision Delta, or 185g moly coated Precision bullets. Either way, the rounds were making about 145-147pf.

Initial impressions of the M&P40 are good. I like the trigger, and with the large grip insert, the pistol feels like my Rock Ranch 2011 on the backstrap and like a standard 1911 on the front strap. It points like my 2011 and feels good in the hanb. Unlike my XD40, which I sold off to finance another project, the M&P40 fits my hands just about perfectly, and I can get good contact on the grip with my left hand.

Controls are where you think they should be - and if you're a lefty there is a built in slide release on the right side of the gun as well as the standard left side; and you can reverse the magazine release button so that it's on the right hand side as well.

About the only negatives to this point that I can think of are the sights - which are the dreaded 3 dot, or should I say, now just one dot because I blacked out the rear dots. The notch isn't as wide as I'd like, but that will be remidied when I put a new narrower front sight.

The other negative is the pistol came with a magazine disconnect - which means you can't pull the trigger unless a mag is in the gun. Needless to say, I'll be disconnecting the disconnect because for shooting matches, it's a pain in the ass to unload and show clear when you have to put a mag back in the gun.

All in all, if the pistol proves to be reliable and functions properly in all conditions, I'd say that the M&P is a keeper. So far, I lubed the pistol when I got home from picking it up, and won't give it a cleaning until it starts jamming up.

We'll see how long that takes.

(side note - my broadband went down and I'm in dial-up hell which is not letting my upload any images. As soon as broadband comes back up I'll post something)

No comments: